Malala defied the rules by continuing to attend school even after the law forbid it. Her small way of defying made a big impact. On October 9, 2012, !5 year old Malala found out about her defiance, and shot her in the head. Malala survived the shot, miraculously. She attends school legally in England now, has received a Nobel Peace Prize, and is still fighting for the rights of every woman in Pakistan, young or old. The author wants me to know about the struggles over something that I take for granted, and that I should be grateful that I am even writing this now.
The article, Malala's Mission, by Alessandra Potenza is an interview with the now-17-year-old Malala. Malala states that "I've seen so many situations in which girls are denied their basic human rights. I've realized that girl's education is important….that's why the terrorists are afraid of it. She uses words like terrorist, meaning she thinks that the attackers who shot her were using fear to get to everyone. She stood up for herself, not fearing, which took away their power. She doesn't believe that what has been done to her is unfair, just that the girls in Pakistan do not have a leader, and must stand up for themselves.
Malala is a symbol for everyone who is scared that they will not be able to do anything to stand up for herself or make a change. Change happens in small ways, and if you change what is happening to you, you can change what happens to others, too. You don't have to be in a position like Malala, you just have to stand for what you believe in. Don't take for granted what you have, and don't bend to the rules if something is unfair.
No comments:
Post a Comment